All 8 art Reviews

Maze Overlord - June 2016 COTM Maze Overlord - June 2016 COTM

Yeah I agree it would be cool to have the character inside the environment, but I still like the feel of the piece. It looks like game-mat art for some mtg or Yugioh card game, you know?

Do you mind telling me a bit more about your technique? I like the rough style :)

Thanks,
Rico

Artist-Lost responds:

Thank you, I use a ton of squiggly lines, in fact pretty much the entire piece is made from using a small brush and smudge tool

For most of the painting I use a brush set up to work like acrylic painting and I use alt to sample colors from a pallet that I predetermine for each material/object in the image.
For the fire effects I first paint out the streaks in white, and then use the smudge tool to make them look a bit like fire. Then I copy that layer, blur it, and then adjust the color (in this case I darken the white and make it purple.) I take that layer and set it to hard light over the white which gives it the glowing look. I did pretty much the same thing for the embers.
I use a lot of lighting effects and gradient layers filtered over the image and masked out to give the depth and atmospheric prospective.

One of these days I will have to do a speed paint recording to show how it all works.

Rathalos V. Felyne Rathalos V. Felyne

Yo I though this submission was fantastic by the way. It really highlights some great illustration aspects.

Congrats on runner up, but can I ask, did you get any artistic training of any kind? Or did you just start working digitally to get to this level of talent? I would really like to know ;) (P.S. my submission was also monster hunter related! BEST GAME)

Thanks,
ScrawlRico

#B-DRAGONSVKITTENS #B-DRAGONSVKITTENS

uhh...may want to add a work in progress link. But I love the one-puch man parody :)

ArtyNazza responds:

Thank you very much :D Yes Saitama was truly an inspiration on this piece. I wanted to capture his unpredictable destruction throughout this piece.
And i have included the link to my mid development in the description of this image, or have i done it wrong?

Espeon Vs. Charizard Espeon Vs. Charizard

Love Charizards stature. nice work

Dragons Will Die Dragons Will Die

Good composition...although if you don't mind some creative criticism, you should practice gesture. That would make the movement of that epic punch to the face come more alive :)

PaulDrob responds:

Thank you for the feedback. I knew something was missing, but nobody pointed it out. Much appreciated.

Dragons Vs Megakitten Dragons Vs Megakitten

That cat honestly is fear in its true form... I like the cross between realism and charicatures in the military dragons. Very cool.

Bring it on... Bring it on...

I love the use of silhouettes. Maybe some casted lighting on the edges of the kitten and dragon to add realism to the fire, but really good presentation

Kris19 responds:

Lol thanks for your comment ,I'll practice lighting :)

Steampunk Samurai Steampunk Samurai

I really like the simplicity. Its easily conveyed ideas. They're talented art, and I think you did good by encircling the different popculture "types" of samurai by diversifying their reference styles.